The New Jersey Police Training Commission (PTC) has instituted a voluntary “Candidate Physical Fitness Preparation Program." The program is designed to prepare participants for the physical demands of police training before they enter a police academy. Participants will be able determine whether they are capable of successfully completing the physical fitness requirements of police training. The program will allow the participants to identify their deficient physical skills prior to paying for and/or attending an academy.
The Gloucester County Police Academy has developed a three-week program that will consist of two-sessions per week, for a total of six sessions. The program will be administered twice per year. The program will precede the pre-assessments for the basic academy class.
The academy director will pre-determine the number of participants who will be admitted. Law Enforcement hires shall be given preference, and the remaining seats will be open to individuals interested in a law enforcement career. The academy director or his/her designee reserve the right to stop any person from participating in the program.
In order to participate in the volunteer program, individuals must:
- Request, complete and return an “application for participation" that will be provided by the police academy.
- Once the application is received and approved, the participant will be required to complete the below steps:
- Complete and return a medical clearance form signed by a licensed New Jersey certified physician stating that they are medically cleared to participate in a physical fitness program.
- Complete and return a waiver of liability form (“Hold Harmless Agreement")
- The participant MUST attend the first preparation program session, which includes a mandatory orientation and an assessment of the participants fitness level. If the participant fails to attend the initial session, they will not be permitted to participate in the remaining sessions.
The dates, times and location will be detailed below.
- Deadline to submit application: Tuesday May 9, 2023 by 3:30pm
- Six sessions (all sessions will take place at the Gloucester County Police Academy):
- Session 1/Orientation (MANDATORY): Tuesday May 16, 2023 at 10:00 am
- Orientation-Importance of physical fitness throughout a law enforcement career. Overview of the PTC Physical Fitness Assessment. Collection and review of medical and liability waivers. All participants must sign in. If the participants do not have their required forms, they will be not be permitted to participate.
- Participants will participate in a pre-workout warm-up and stretching program.
- Participants will be instructed on proper form and technique.
- Participants will be offered the opportunity to be assessed in accordance with PTC fitness standards.
- If, at any time during the physical conditioning session, an individual is observed to be in distress, they will be directed to stop immediately, and obtain follow up attention as needed. In addition, if an instructor observes a participant that is a danger to themselves or others, they will be counseled, and/or removed from the program. Since this is a voluntary program, participants can remove themselves from a session or the program at any time.
- Session 2: Thursday May 18, 2023 at 10:00 am
- Sessions 2-6 will include: warmup, stretching, cardiovascular exercise, strength training (upper/lower body), and proper technique
- Session 3: Tuesday May 23, 2023 at 10:00 am
- Session 4: Thursday May 25, 2023 at 10:00 am
- Session 5: Tuesday May 30, 2023 at 10:00 am
- Session 5 will include a PTC assessment to gauge the participant's improvement and overall level of physical fitness.
- Session 6: Thursday June 1, 2023 at 10:00 am
- If, at any time, a participant requires medical attention, they will be required to obtain medical clearance by a physician to participate in future sessions.