Sign In
RCSJ students holding diplomas at Graduation

Reverse Transfer

Reverse ​Transf​er​

​Reverse Transfer is a way for you to receive an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) degree which you started at Rowan College before your transfer to a four-year institution. Students may transfer the credits they have earned at the four-year institution back to Rowan College and this combination of credits may meet the requirements for an associate degree.

Did you transfer before completing your Associates?

Did you complete at least 30 credits at RCSJ?

Did you complete your missing courses at another school?

If you said yes, you can Reverse Transfer!

How Can an Associate​​ Degree Benefit Me?

  • Students who receive an associate degree through reverse transfer are 5 to 18% more likely to earn a bachelor degree than their eligible classmates who skip the associate degree, according​ to publisher of the Hechinger Report, Jon Marcus. (​
  • If your pursuit of a bachelor degree is interrupted for any reason, you'll still have a degree on your resume.
  • The associate degree may help you qualify for certain scholarships and when applying for internships. 
  • If you do have to take a break in your education, it may be easier to re-enter another college or university with a completed associate degree.​
  • An associate degree can mean earning $200,000 more during the students' lifetime than those with just some college and $400,000 more than high school graduates without any further education, according to a 2011 report from Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce. 
  • An associate degree is a valuable credential both for job seeking and for career advancement for those already working while pursuing degrees, the Chronicle of Higher Education states. 
  • There is a motivational factor in boosting confidence and building momentum. One student, a runner, compared getting an associate degree to finishing a half marathon on the way to training for a marathon. Or in this case, working toward a bachelor degree. (
​ ​​​

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Am I eligible?
    You must have earned at least 30 college-level credits from Rowan College with a minimum 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA), and have no ​current outstanding balance due to Rowan College. Your Rowan College credits must have been earned within the past 3 years from the time of submitting the Reverse Transfer Agreement. 
  • How do I participate?
    Complete the Reverse Transfer Agreement.  Have official transcripts sent to Rowan College from your other institution.
  • ​​​​Does Reverse Transfer cost anything?​ There is no charge to review your transcript and, if eligible, issue your degree from Rowan College.
  • How will I know if I am awarded the degree?
    Rowan College will send notification via email​.
  • Do I need to take any additional coursework at RCSJ-Gloucester?
    No, we will only transfer the missing coursework completed at your current or subsequent college/university. ​​
  • Will this affect my financial aid or scholarships?
    No, it will not affect federal or state financial aid.  If you are receiving a private scholarship, you should consult them about any regulations that might make you ineligible.
  • Will this affect military benefits?
    No, as long as you continue to complete work on your bachelor's degree.
  • I attended more than one community college: can I choose the school and degree?
    No.  The community colleges have policies that determine how reverse transfer works at each particular institution.
  • What if I have other questions?
    ​Contact the Transfer Advisor,​ Barbara Murtaugh
    856-468-5000 x 6411.